Breakfast spots?

Alerts, help needed, and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: AntonLargiader

a

Re: Kathy's

Post by a » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:44 pm

Clem's BMW wrote:Kathy's in Staunton is pretty good. It has bar seating, booths, as well as tables. It is on Greenville Ave., (Rt. 11)
Not sure about the breakfasts, but the Thunderbird Diner in Mcgaheysville is pretty good for other meals. It's new but sort of traditional feeling.
I hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but Kathy's is being renovated and will soon be a Mexican restaurant...

For those heading west on Rt33, the L&S Diner and the Little Grille, both in Harrisonburg, are excellent breakfast spots!
a

80R65 nekkid

J.D.

Breakfast spots

Post by J.D. » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:07 pm

The La Cocina Del Sol

The town of Corozet, named after Col. Corzet (1789-1864) hosts the restaurant La Cocina Del Sol. Mexican cuisine with a friendly efficient staff that you would expect form this family owned facility. A large single room colorfully painted with ample seating can easily handle our troupe. Breakfast starts at 8:30 and a brunch at 10:30 to 11:00. A straight up two eggs and ham or other, rings in at hefty $7.50. The menu lists only 5 entrees, 3 ethnic. The brunch appears to be the big draw, as there was only one for breakfast. Myself. This restaurant is reminiscent of the La Tasa, the difference is being this facility features large room, but short on menu.
And you might ask yourself, "where does that highway go?"
DISCLAIMER:
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance this missive's individual character and
beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

AntonLargiader

Inn at Afton

Post by AntonLargiader » Mon May 28, 2007 5:34 pm

Thanks JD. I've meant to eat there but haven't managed to do so yet.

I checked out the Inn at Afton yesterday. There were only ten, maybe twelve people there at perhaps four tables, two waitresses, and I think it must have been 20 or 30 minutes before my food arrived. Seriously long time. I can't imagine what was happening in the kitchen as there was simply no food coming out most of the time.

However, that aside, the food was quite good and the total bill was just under $10 for coffee (they even brought me my own small urn), eggs/bacon/homefries/toast and a pancake. I would actually go back (with a newspaper or something like that). The view, of course, is spectacular and there is definitely no problem seating a crowd. Feeding them, maybe.

A customer today gave a hearty second recommendation for Mrs. Rowe's in Staunton. Same exit as the Cracker Barrel (250 and I-81).
R1100RS, R100R, K75RT, R100PD, R100GS, XR400R, R75/5x2, Jetta TDI

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Tue May 29, 2007 8:50 am

We had a First Sunday breakfast at Cocina del Sol last winter. They were busy fixing the brunch, but service and food was very good. It's worth another visit.

We gave up on The Inn at Afton when they had a Sunday buffet. There were no plates on the buffet, not utensils on the table, and coffee was only available in the lobby! The wait staff was oblivious (self service?). We gave up and left. But the location and view are tempting. Should we try again?
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

AntonLargiader

Post by AntonLargiader » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:43 pm

I have mixed feelings about the Inwood after our breakfast there on 12/2/07. It's nice that they can seat a group, but unfortunately they really don't seem to be able to handle a group. Even for eight people, the food came out in several batches and mine wasn't particularly warm. Looking at the kitchen arrangement when I went to pay the bill, it was pretty clear why. The food gets served onto plates which sit near the cooktop until the waitress can get to them (she might be doing something else at the time). Plus, my eggs were undercooked and Meredith noticed that most people had pretty runny eggs, indicating to me that the cook was trying to rush through the orders one by one. In other words, they just aren't set up to handle a group, at least on Sunday mornings. It's probably a completely different situation for just two people sitting at the counter.

JoeBeemer

Post by JoeBeemer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:46 pm

"Plus, my eggs were undercooked and Meredith noticed that most people had pretty runny eggs, indicating to me that the cook was trying to rush through the orders . . "

True. True. Mine were a bit on the runny side also.
It wasn't the worst place I've eaten but it certainly wasn't the best.
They did keep the coffee cups full 'tho.

Other than larger places that are set up to handle bigger crowds (ie - IHOP, Shoney's, Denny's, etc.) are there any smaller places that do a good breakfast AND can handle a party of 8 or 10 ? :?:

Joe (the new guy)
'99 R1200C, '99 323Ci, '02 530i, and a big red '97 Pierce 75' aerial
BMWMOA 136709

MTSweger

Re: Breakfast spots

Post by MTSweger » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:03 pm

J.D. wrote:The town of Corozet, named after Col. Corzet (1789-1864) hosts the restaurant La Cocina Del Sol....
There is also La Cocina Del Sol that recently opened a few blocks away from us... on the corner of Hydraulic and Commonwealth in C'ville (used to be an Italian restaurant). Good food and nice atmosphere, but I've not been there for breakfast. Might be worth keeping in mind. I'll try to get over there for brunch soon and report back on the food, service, etc.

Mike Sweger
Mike Sweger
2004 K1200GT | 2015 KTM 1290SA

L.Price

Post by L.Price » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:25 pm

Brunch at the La Cocina Del Sol is great. There are many selections to choose from. Last time I was there (about 3 mo. ago) the brunch rang in at a hefty $16.00 per.
Larry Price
Charlottesville, Va.
'76 R90/6

AntonLargiader

Post by AntonLargiader » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:59 am

So I've been told that La Taza is no longer serving made-to-order food, and is instead serving reheated dishes prepared in advance. Has anyone been there since this change was made, and if so, is there a noticeable difference?

J.D.

Post by J.D. » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:40 pm

I stopped by the La Taze last Sunday ( 16th ) to check on the menue service. Perhaps it is an aberivated menue during the week. My entray was prepaired a little diffrent, but it filled that nitch. The wait service still is a bit airry. I would like to think of La Taza as still being on the A list for breakfast in CHO.
And you might ask yourself, "where does that highway go?"
DISCLAIMER:
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance this missive's individual character and
beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Wed May 07, 2008 9:16 am

I thought our First Sunday at Mrs. Rowe's in Staunton was "OK". Maybe some of the specialties of the house were more interesting than my menu choice. I had a cheese omelet, home fries, biscuit, and tea. The highlight was the biscuit. We were seated quickly, service was attentive, and the price was right (mine <$7 before tip). Also, good access to I-81/64, which got us quickly to scenic VA 252.

We need rating system for these reviews. I propose rating location, food, service, and value separately with an overall average using three stars. So, for Mrs. Rowe's:
Location **
Food *
Service **
Value ***
Overall **

How about some other opinioins on a rating system and Mrs. Rowe's in praticlular.
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

AntonLargiader

Re: Breakfast spots?

Post by AntonLargiader » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:34 am

Last Sunday we had breakfast at The Nook, on the Downtown Mall. Food was fine. Looks like a decent menu in the $7 range.

The place itself is a bit odd. First thing I noticed (it really might have been my imagination) was that there was a smell like someone had peed in there. Maybe some bum had walked the night before and they didn't get him out in time. The other thing is that the booth tables on the west wall were all sloped, as if the floor was higher at the wall than it was closer to the middle of the room. The sloped benches were especially noticeable since there were no cushions, just hard wood.

I would go back, but I would definitely sit somewhere else. Some of the tables had padded chairs.

jeff.ward

Post by jeff.ward » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:32 pm

I just wanted to let you know that Lynn's has reopened in Waynesboro. It is pretty much back like Lynn Wease had run it for decades. I tried it out this week, Dec 15, 2008. Hope to see some of you on some rides this coming year. Jeff Ward

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:19 am

Hey Jeff,
We were at Lynn's in November. We we warned away from the buffet by the folks at the table next to ours, but tried it anyway after seeing it replenished. It was OK, but certainly nothing outstanding. We even had the waitress from the old Lynn Wease days. It's a good location, so I'm sure we'll be back.
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

AntonLargiader

Post by AntonLargiader » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:54 pm

We were at Lynne's today. The waitress didn't even bring menus and expected us to do the buffet. When asked, she brought them but then said "Everything on there is at the buffet" and the prices were essentially the same. They really want people to go to the buffet. So we mentioned that Lynne's USED to have such a great menu with interesting pancakes and what not, and she finally told us that those things (eggs Benedict, fried eggs, other pancakes, etc.) were still available but they weren't on the menu. At that point we finally just gave in and told her that it was just too complicated. The pancakes at the buffet were dry, crunchy even, and the eggs (all scrambled of course) were in short supply.

The coffee was decent and she was good about keeping the cups full.

Definitely not like the old days. I guess it might be OK for a group since everyone can eat immediately, but the standard isn't very high. There were very few customers there but that could have been due to the time change.