Easter on the Blue Ridge

Alerts, help needed, and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: AntonLargiader

Chuck

Easter on the Blue Ridge

Post by Chuck » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:09 pm

Easter on the Blue Ridge is an annual BRB event organized by Steve Coburn for Easter weekend. It begins with dinner in Staunton on Friday with optional camping at the Verona KOA (or moteling nearby), riding to Willville on Saturday with dinner nearby and camping at Willville (or moteling nearby), then return on Sunday. The dates this year are March 25 -27. Watch EVENTS for a more detailed posting by Steve.
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

Kandy

Post by Kandy » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:41 pm

Easter on the Blue Ridge is being held on Mar. 25-27
Friday afternoon riders from as far north as Canada will be arriving at the Shenandoah Valley KOA off US 11 in Verona, at the Best Western or Sleep Inn off I-81 on US 250 east of Staunton. Everyone will meet at the KOA around 6 pm to ride into Staunton where dinner reservations are made at the Mill Street Grill (next to the train station). We have reserved the second floor for dinner at 7.
Saturday morning we will have breakfast at Rowe's Restaurant on US 250 just east of I-81. We have reserved a section for 8 am.
After breakfast we will ride the Blue Ridge Parkway from milepost 0, Afton Mountain. The lunch options down the parkway are at Peaks of Otter (Milepost 86) or at Brugh Tavern (in Discover Park, Milepost 115). The day's riding will end at Meadows of Dan, just past Mabry Mill. Camping is available at Willville Motorcycle campground and motelling at the Blue Ridge Motel. Dinner that evening will be announced by the 15th of March. Reservations and discount room prices at the motels can be made by mentioning "Easter on the Blue Ridge"
KOA 540-562-9949
Sleep Inn 540-887-6500
Best Western 540-885-1112
Blue Ridge Motel 276-952-2244
Willville Motorcycle Campground 276-952-CAMP www.willvillebikecamp.com
For more information call Kandy @ 434-465-1948
Ridin' On, Kandy

JD

Easter on the Blue Ridge

Post by JD » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:44 pm

According to informed sources, this was the first rain out in the 15 year history of this event. I would call more of a white out as visibility's at the entrance of the BRP were around of 500 feet. Plan "B" was activited. A scoot down to Lynchburg to pay our respects to some new 2005 BM's. A first for me was actually passing the geo center of Va. It's going in my bike log. :roll: Thanks to Candy for the planning this event, and to Steve for picking the restaurant Friday eve. Wonderful wait staff. See everyone next week at the Cresent before launching to Richmond. J.D.

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:13 am

Rain out? I got a late start on Friday and headed to Willville by a meandering low mostly elevation route down the valley. I got to Willville about 4:00 PM and Will was still expecting a few campers, so I set up my tent and Will started the camp fire. A litle later Will found Kandy's phone message of the cancellation.

I packed up early Sunday and headed to Tuggles Gap for the Twin Valley Riders breakfast and ride. Nobody showed up there either. Pretty much pea soup fog on the BRP, so I headed down VA 8 and took another low land route back to B'water. NO RAIN EITHER DAY! But still got a wet tent, et al form the misty fog.
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS