Alerts, help needed, and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: AntonLargiader

1024JLC

Post by 1024JLC » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:41 am

Good morning one and all; I just joined the group this morning. I live in Delaware and have a 02' BMW R1150RS. I commute back and forth to work on a daily basis (35 miles each way), including winter (bar ice and snow), and try to get a few long trips in each year as well. My best friend (of 37 years) is taking the AutoTrain from Florida on Sunday May 4th to Lorton, VA, arriving May 5th. I will be driving down from Delaware to meet him on the 5th, and we will promptly be heading for the Blue Ridge. We plan on spending 2-days on the BRP, ending up in Robbinsville on the evening of the 6th. The 7th will be Deal's Gap and Cherohala Skyway, and then an overnight in Blairsville, GA at a friends home. On the morning of the 8th my buddy heads to South Florida, and I head back to Delaware.

My question to the group, as the BRP is your expertise, is this time table too agressive to enjoy the BRP? The problem is, I have to be back early evening on the 9th (daughters prom - anyone with a teenaged daughter understands the importance of this event), and we can not leave Lorton, VA before the 5th due to my friends schedule.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Jeff

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:44 am

Hey Jeff,
After a quick look at the mileage, I think it would work OK. But it depends on how early on the fifth you can get away from Lorton. You would probably need to skip the Skyline Drive through Shenandoah NP and head straight 125 miles to the BRP at Rockfish Gap (BRP Milepost 0, just off US 250 or I-64). Once on the BRP you have about 500 miles with a 45 mph or less speed limit to Robbinsville. The authorities have tightened up on enforcement on the BRP, but I think they still tolerate to near 10 over if traffic is light. Enforcement is more concentrated in developed areas where the speed limit drops and near Asheville. At least that's been my experience.

Any other thoughts, guys.

Sounds like a good trip. It's going to make you anxious to get back again with more time.
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

1024JLC

Post by 1024JLC » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:54 am

Thanks Chuck. Yep, we plan on skipping Skyline (we have both done that before) as time is a little tight. We were thinking of trying to get to Fancy Gap or maybe Blowing Rock the first day, and make Robbinsville the next evening, allowing a little more time on the southern section. Your are right, I have not even made the trip yet, but I am sure that I will want to do it many times again. The bike is ready..next Z6's, new Ohlins and all fluids changed! Just hoping the weather is working for us as well.

purcelsl

Post by purcelsl » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:38 am

Make sure you bring foul weather gear. Once you get below Asheville, NC, the weather can turn on you in a moment. Watch for the tunnels--I've gone into them on a sunny day with a tinted shield and lost my vision. You cannot count on seeing the other end as you enter, and I've encountered water, debris, and small animals to make things more interesting. It's a great ride--one that I hope to do again in June.
steve purcell
harrisonburg, va

2004 R1200C Montauk