BRB Spring Thing

Alerts, help needed, and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: AntonLargiader

Chuck

BRB Spring Thing

Post by Chuck » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:41 am

I spoke with the Canadians who usually come south for Easter on the Blue Ridge and they have no intention of coming south so early in the season. Here are a couple options in the spirit of last years Covered Bridge Tour:

Helvetia Ramp Supper with overnight camping at Kumbrabow State Forest on the last weekend of April:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/6192/
http://www.kumbrabow.com/ .

Also for that weekend, there are rumors that Buzzard Brent is planning a Sprng Fling at High Country Motorcycle Camp just off the BRP at Bent Gap:
http://www.highcountrymotorcyclecamp.com/

Or just ride down to Willville or High Country MC Camp most any time:
http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/

Any other ideas?
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

MTSweger

Re: BRB Spring Thing [Easter Ride on the BRP, Anyone?]

Post by MTSweger » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:47 pm

Chuck wrote:I spoke with the Canadians who usually come south for Easter on the Blue Ridge and they have no intention of coming south so early in the season. Here are a couple options in the spirit of last years Covered Bridge Tour:
Great suggestions, Chuck! The Helvetia/Kumbrabow thing sounds good.

By the way, there should be some IBMWR folks riding the Parkway on Easter Sunday. I think the plan is to meet at the Afton Inn on Sunday morning around 9:30 or 10:00 for the "Steve Colburn Memorial Easter on the Blue Ridge Ride."

-MTS
Mike Sweger
2004 K1200GT | 2015 KTM 1290SA

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:58 pm

Ramp Supper details from the Helvetia web site:

Saturday, April 26. Helvetia Ramp Supper. 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. or when all food is gone. Community Hall. Fried and fresh ramps, beans, ham, fried potatoes, applesauce, cornbread, drink, and dessert. Volunteers will be preparing over 60 bushels of ramps, 300 pounds of ham, 60 pounds of beans, 480 pounds of potatoes, and 200 pounds of cabbage. Helvetia Community products will be available upstairs in the Community Hall. Dance 9:00 -12:00. Music by the Helvetia Star Band. Sponsored by the Farm Women and the Community Hall Association.

Ramp Supper comments by RideWVa in PM:

About 1993, Grant and I, started "The Great Annual Ramps and Rolaids Ride" to Helvetia. We contacted everyone we knew that rode motorcycles in the Morgantown area. The weather for the inaugural ride was cold, raining, and heavier rain on the way. Still their were a few BMW's, me on my 1991 ST1100, John on his Norton, Wade on his Super Glide, and a few others including Gary on his Gold Wing 1500.
While waiting in line outside the community building in Helvetia, with the odor of cooking ramps wafting in the air, Wade commented to Grant; "it smells like the septic system drain field is overwhelmed" Grant just said "yes but once you get past the smell they taste pretty good!" Stopping for gas on the way back I asked Gary "are you having a good time?" He said he couldn't wait to get home, open a bottle of Scotch and try to forget about this whole day!"
We did it for a few more years then for whatever reason it fizzled. A few weeks ago I mentioned to Wade that we should resurrect this great event! I think he's all for it.

So, there may be a motorcycle event developing here.
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

SLBateman

Post by SLBateman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:16 pm

I and my old riding buddy are planning to be in that part of the State over that weekend (Friday the 25th and Saturday the 26th). Looked at the Kumbrabow web-site and we're going to try to book a cabin for those two nights.
Truly a beautiful part of W VA. The people are very hospitable and the food is usually pretty darn good. Haven't ever tried ramps, tho....
Sam Bateman
Arvonia, VA
1990 K75RT

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:20 pm

SLBateman wrote:ILooked at the Kumbrabow web-site and we're going to try to book a cabin for those two nights.
Too late, Sam. I booked the last available cabin (#5) last week after Suzanne said she wanted to go. They require two night minimum stay, so we'll be leaving on Friday (by Bimmer, not Beemer). If a BRB ride to Helvetia for the ramp supper develops, somebody else will have to organize it.

See you in Helvetia!
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

SLBateman

Post by SLBateman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:24 am

Oh well, looks like it's going to be a tent event. Camping's good. If you can keep the bears out of the tent........
This Ramp Celebration thing must attract a bigger crowd than I thought.
Sam Bateman
Arvonia, VA
1990 K75RT