Hammersley this Saturday?

Alerts, help needed, and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader

Hammersley this Saturday?

Post by AntonLargiader » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:25 pm

Meredith and I are considering a run down to Hammersley this weekend if the weather is nice. No particular reason, but neither of us has been there and it would be a nice run down the BRP if the leaf peepers aren't too bad.

Post if you're interested. If the BRP is clogged we'll do something else.
R1100RS, R100R, K75RT, R100PD, R100GS, XR400R, R75/5x2, Jetta TDI

AntonLargiader

Post by AntonLargiader » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:31 am

OK, the weather looks good so we're going to head down there in the AM and probably swing by the event in Vesuvius that Rob posted about in "Events." Drop me an email if you'll be out and about.

AntonLargiader

We rode

Post by AntonLargiader » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:27 am

We did go down there after all - Meredith, Neil and I. As we got to Rockfish Gap we got into rain, and it was tough to say where it wasn't going to rain so we just stuck to the BRP and were in very light rain all the way down to 56. Heading down 56 we nearly got out of the rain by the time we got to Vesuvius, but not quite. Looked at stuff there for a while (see Rob's post in Events) and talked to Rob's wife for a while, then decided to take back roads on the western side of the mountain, which was mostly clear, down to BV and then take 501 across to Lynchburg. Great plan, the roads were mostly clear and sunny although the pavement was wet going over the mountains near the BRP crossing. In fact I got into a pretty severe slide under braking at one point but pulled it out and got to Hammersley without further incident.

Hammersley had a better moto presence than I expected, for a car dealership. There's a motorcycle area with a few aftermarket goodies like Aeroflow HLCs and different brake pads, and some non-BMW clothing items. Also a TV pit and a coffee machine. Because the parts counter there seems to serve cars also, there were floor mats and stuff for sale in the moto area, but overall it was OK. Talked to a sales?? guy and a mechanic for a bit. There's a pretty large covered drive-through area that seems to be dedicated to bikes awaiting service.

We needed to get back for a birthday party, so we headed back up to the BRP, then went east on 130 and took a few different small roads and then came up 151 to 250 and home. Basically no rain on the return trip, although it was very dark up on the mountain.