new bmw owner

Alerts, help needed, and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: AntonLargiader

robnshel

new bmw owner

Post by robnshel » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:02 pm

Hello,
Found Blue Ridge Beemers through the chapter link on BMWOA. Just purchased a 94 k 1100 rs and placed 780 miles on it riding home.

Wanted to pass on how great route 50 is, tons of twisty but gas stations after 9pm were hard to find open. I hit route 50 in Parksburg, Oh and took it till route 66 in Va. Ran into a lot of riders just doing day rides and there seemed to be plenty of road side resturants. Route 50 over in Wva was chocked full of tight curves.

Well looks like my speedo doesnt like rain, 2nd hard down pour and it started to skip and jump. I did the google search and this seems to be rather common. Has anyone taken there speedo cluster apart and feel like passing on any points?
cya round the blue ridge... :roll:
Rob

AntonLargiader

Post by AntonLargiader » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:51 am

US33 is even better than US50! But finding fuel is always a problem late at night since there are so few large towns.

As for the speedometer, start with the connections at the back of the instrument pod and between the speedo sensor (on the final drive) and the main wiring harness. Separate them and look for corrosion, then maybe squirt some CorrosionX, CorrosionBlock, or similar on the pins before reassembly.
R1100RS, R100R, K75RT, R100PD, R100GS, XR400R, R75/5x2, Jetta TDI

robnshel

Post by robnshel » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:18 pm

Thanks for the tip on the speedo, was gonna tackle that today but mother nature found some rain for me to enjoy on the way home from work. Does it help to drill out the underside of the cluster or is this just asking for more issues later on?
just make the next right