Highland and Bath Counties

Alerts, help needed, and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: AntonLargiader

Clem's BMW

Highland and Bath Counties

Post by Clem's BMW » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:55 pm

Just got back from a 3 hour ride through western Augusta, Highland and Bath counties. Who would have thought that Dec 18th would be such a nice day for a Mtn. ride. Just wore jeans and my BMW coat and it was fine. Also found out that my R1200C will hit an idicated 107mph flat out down a slight grade
On my first BMW a R1200C. Got it when the Harley dealer didn't want my money! VERY Happy.

AntonLargiader

Post by AntonLargiader » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:01 am

We almost went out there on Saturday, but just got too late a start on the day. It must have been fantastic riding. Did you see a fellow on a silver R1150GS? He was here on Friday and I think I convinced him to go out that way on Saturday.
R1100RS, R100R, K75RT, R100PD, R100GS, XR400R, R75/5x2, Jetta TDI

Clem's BMW

Post by Clem's BMW » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:25 am

Actually I didn't see any other bikes of any type out there. but then it was a Monday. I had to go out there for work, but since all it was was two quick stops it was a great excuse to ride the bike. I made a loop and came back to Staunton but to keep going out to WVA and up to Phillipi is about 3 hours from Staunton and that is a great ride.
On my first BMW a R1200C. Got it when the Harley dealer didn't want my money! VERY Happy.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Lots of great riding throughout that area. I had a few free hours on Sunday afternoon and took Rt 250 out to Monterey and back.

A word of caution for what it's worth. Going back 4-5 years ago I've heard more than one person say that some of the western counties in VA are where some of the new state troopers spend their time. After a handful of incident free years, I finally crossed paths with one about two miles south of Monterey back in September and was ticketed for doing 73 in a 55. This was less than a month after being stopped for 71 (officer reduced to 64) in a 55 just north of Franklin, WV, which was my first ticket in nearly four years - talk about bad luck. (On a side note, the court fee in Franklin, which applies whether you show up or mail in your fee, was $160 innocent or guilty! The fine itself was only $10.)
Now for the somewhat happy ending that may be helpful to others down the road. The court clerk in Monterey/Highland County recommended that I write the judge a letter if I were not going to appear in court. I did and he was willing to drop the charges if I successfully complete a driver's ed course. I'll probably pay more up front than the fine, but will keep it off my record and not see my insurance increase.
75 R75/6
02 R1100SBX
01 GSX-R 600

Clem's BMW

Western VA Troopers.

Post by Clem's BMW » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:32 pm

I said I found out my top end speed wise, but I did it on the one long straight stretch downhill south of Monterey on Rt. 220. Not a banzi run on curves. In that one spot you can see probably a 1/2 to a mile and so checked it out to see if anyone was sitting there. I only had it up that high for a quarter mile or so just to see. Being a R1200C it is not real comfortable that fast so I was back to a more sedate speed quickly. Anyway the funny thing is 3-4 miles farther on I did see a State Trooper going the other way. Your right about the Troopers and county guys out that way. There is no "crime" to speak of out there so what do they have to do except tickets, plus there are not many main roads out there so they tend to be congregated on 220 and 250. But that is ok, the roads are curvy enough that sedate cruising is about all you can do anyway and the curves make it great. Ah - except for my one straight stretch!