Steve Coburn

Alerts, help needed, and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: AntonLargiader

Kandy

Steve Coburn

Post by Kandy » Tue May 23, 2006 2:03 pm

Hello everyone,
I am letting everyone know that Steve suffered a brain aneurism on Saturday and is now in the Neuro ICU unit at UVA. He can not use his left side and has a long way to go in recovery. He had a previous condition that is causing some delays in his recovery. I am in constant contact with the staff and see him regularly so I'll keep you posted. If you would like to send cards just mail them to the P.O. Box 8081 Charlottesville 22906 address and I will get them to him. If you would like to call, please call me at 434-465-1948 after 7 pm.
Thank You all in advance for your thoughts and prayers. Kandy
Ridin' On, Kandy

Pfestus1

Post by Pfestus1 » Fri May 26, 2006 9:21 pm

Thanks for the info, Kandy. I just had read about Steve's medical issue on the BMW Sport Touring forum, so am glad you had some info up here. I'll send Steve a card. Keep us posted as to when he can see visitors.
Hank Pfister
Copper Hill, VA

Kandy

Update

Post by Kandy » Sat May 27, 2006 10:22 am

:cry: As of today Steve is not responding to questions or commands. The blood products they are giving him are do little to no good. I will continue to keep sending him your wishes and prayers. He is generally sleeping all the time, but I think that he knows when someone is there. Thank you all for your continued thoughts and prayers. Kandy
Ridin' On, Kandy

BMWDAN42

New Update

Post by BMWDAN42 » Sun May 28, 2006 4:37 pm

Spoke to Steve's wife Lorean last night and this morning. Steve has taken a downhill turn and was not expected to make it through last night although he did. He has had a new bleed and the MD's have said there is nothing else they can do. He has been moved from the ICU to another area and all of the life support has been removed. As of 10am he was holding on but losing ground. Sorry for the bad news. Lorean has a cot in his room and is resting after being up all night. Rough duty.

Dan Fowley
94 R100GSPD 86 R80RT
73 Husky WR 400
Old Bultacos in need of restoration

Kandy

Steve

Post by Kandy » Tue May 30, 2006 11:40 am

Steve is on a morphine drip to take care of the pain. I like to believe he is riding the beautiful roads of Virginia before saying goodby to us all. I know that over the last two and a half years, that I've been a part of Steve's life, that those who are truly his friends meant the world to him and I thank you.
Ridin' On, Kandy

rusty22039

Post by rusty22039 » Wed May 31, 2006 2:28 am

Steve passed Tuesday PM. He was a friend of 40 years and my riding buddy of 12. He will be sorely missed. Kandy, please let me know of any arrangements that are being made. I know he would want to be there for me.
Rusty Chapman
Fairfax Station
R12GS,SV650

Pfestus1

Post by Pfestus1 » Wed May 31, 2006 10:37 am

It is sad to loose Steve. I did not know Steve well, but we always chatted when our paths would cross. I know he is well respected in the BMW community and will be missed. My condolences to his family, and friends in the Charlottesville area, as well as around the world.
Hank Pfister
Copper Hill, VA
pfestus1@yahoo.com

Frank Patterson

Post by Frank Patterson » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:20 pm

I am very sorry to hear about Steve. I haven't seen him in a long time, and that's a shame. My condolences to all those who are touched by his passing. Frank Patterson :(
Frank
FJR 1300
K1200LT

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:59 pm

Laurian sent this note to the MOA. From the MOA Forum:

thank you for your kind words.
steve was cremated this morning, june 1st. the funeral home that has handled the passing has a site for visitors to leave their names. it is: teaguefuneralhome.com
you must enter his last name, coburn
we will scatter the ashes on a ride to the blue ridge mountains; the date is not yet decided. as this was all so sudden there are many things to attend to first.
laurian cannon coburn

srfox

Ride on, Steve

Post by srfox » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:18 pm

I met Steve at the Moodus BMWMOA Rally many years ago, and enjoyed talking with him. I recently ran into him at the grand opening of MotoVirginia, and he was kind enough to bring me a flyer on his Norton, as he knew I admired it.

He was a true friend of the BMW marque. Godspeed, dude.

Steve

Kandy

Post by Kandy » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:57 am

At this time, the plan is to have a memorial ride/weekend at the "Laid Back Affair Rally" in Buena Vista August 11-13. More details to come.
Ridin' On, Kandy

lee

Steve Coburn

Post by lee » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:52 pm

Steve Coburn was a Catalyst for all of us involved with the Oil Rag and many others. He already and will always be missed by us riders.
Thanks always Steve for all that you have done for us over the years.

Pepper

Steve

Post by Pepper » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:52 pm

I just learned this weekend, from a friend in Montana, of Steve's passing. Steve was instrumental in the start of my riding career in '95 at the Boyer Station Campground, in Cass, WV. He also introduced me around at my first rally and my first National. I joined up with the Rolling Rally in '97 in Jackson Wyoming and rode through Idaho and Glacier National Park with the group. On my birthday and he was kind enough to give me a celebration on the Canadian side of Glacier National Park. As it turned out, that was the best birthday of my life. I saw him at last year's National and was dismayed to find him looking so ill. I had just been wondering if he made it to this year's National Rally.

While my passion for motorcycling is physically side-lined due to health issues, the spirit lives on in huge part because he be-friended me and helped me along.

Steve also was instrumental in the start of another passion - writing. He allowed me to contribute many arcticles to the Blue Ridge Beemer's Newsletter. It was a talent I didn't know I had but found as I wrote about my rides. For that I am eternally grateful.

I'll try to attend the "Laid Back Affair" in my "other" German engineered vehicle - VW Jetta. And perhaps, if there is a ride, I can be a passenger; I still have my gear in the hopes that someday I may ride again.

Pepper Boyer (formerly Pepper Bicknell)
Buckingham, VA