Anyone taken Albemarle County's ERC (Experienced Rider Cours

Alerts, help needed, and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: AntonLargiader

tfjtolson

Anyone taken Albemarle County's ERC (Experienced Rider Cours

Post by tfjtolson » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:58 am

Thinking about signing up for Albemarle County's Community Education
course "ERC" - Experience Rider Course
URL is:
http://schoolcenter.k12albemarle.org/ed ... 1143597594

Wondering if anyone has taken it and would care to comment.

Years ago I took an ERIC course up in Northern VA.
Been riding BMWs for 30+ years without a serious crash (i.e, one I couldn't ride away from). Have 1974 R75/6 with 142K on it (mine since 1974) and a new R1200RT...

TIA for any feedback on Albemarle County's ERC course.

Tim
Tim F.J. Tolson
Crozet
1974 BMW R75/6 and 2005 BMW R1200RT

Troy Nicks
Site Admin

Post by Troy Nicks » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:54 pm

I'll jump in here, Tim. I took the ERC in Lynchburg several years ago - I guess the curriculum's pretty standard.

Given the low cost and a day's worth of your time, I think the ERC has good value. The emphasis is on low speed manuvering, with some swerve and braking drills. They'll also stay on you about looking ahead in turns which is an excellent habit to cultivate.

I'd certainly recommend the ERC.
Troy Nicks
Nelson Co., Virginia, on the Tye River
04 K12GT

Al Smith

ERC

Post by Al Smith » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:17 pm

I took the ERC here in C'ville a year ago and recommend it highly. It did concentrate in slow turns and such, but more importantly is touched on quick stops, swerves, and tactics. Personally, Ii know that it has helped me out of more than one bad situation, so I think it's worth it.
R1200RT, R1150R

XILAR8

Post by XILAR8 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:05 pm

I just took the April 22 ERC at Albemarle HS. I concur with the comments above. While I can't say that I learned anything new, it did make me focus on safety issues and practice low speed maneuvers all afternoon. I think it was time well spent. BTW, I learned that Progressive Insurance does not provide discounts to ERC graduates -- statistically, we are no safer than those without the ERC.
John
K1300S

tfjtolson

Re: Anyone taken Albemarle County's ERC (Experienced Rider C

Post by tfjtolson » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:32 pm

tfjtolson wrote:Thinking about signing up for Albemarle County's Community Education
course "ERC" - Experience Rider Course
URL is:
http://schoolcenter.k12albemarle.org/ed ... 1143597594

...{snip, stuff deleted}...
Exceedingly delinquent in posting a follow-up to my taking the ERC course in June at Albemarle High School.

First and foremost to the posters - you helped convince me to take it and you were very right. Thank you.

It was very good, very worthwhile and worth the time. Had about 12 folks there, with wide variety of bikes, riding levels, skill, heights, and gender. The instructors did a excellent job of matching their instruction and drills to our group, allowing "customization" and offering suggestions to match each our abilities as we demonstrated and tried each thing.
Way more seat time then when I last took it a decade or more ago; almost all saddle time. Book breaks were partially there just to let us rest, hydrate and digest what we'd been doing.

If you get a chance, sign up, it's inexpensive and you can't have too much practice.

Peace,
Tim
Tim F.J. Tolson
Crozet
1974 BMW R75/6 and 2005 BMW R1200RT