"..ITS A LONG WAY TO HAZARD, ITS A LONG WAY TO HARLAN..

Alerts, help needed, and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: AntonLargiader

Hank Pfister

"..ITS A LONG WAY TO HAZARD, ITS A LONG WAY TO HARLAN..

Post by Hank Pfister » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:04 am

ITS A LONG WAY TO HAZZARD, ITS A LONG WAY TO HARLAN, JUST TO GIT A LITTLE BREW, BOYS, JUST TO GIT A LITTLE BREW!..."
Having never been to Hazard or Harlan Kentucky, that song has haunted, or maybe fasinated me for a long time. SO, I'm going to do something, like put together a fall ride and see just how the roads are between Harlan and Hazard Kentucky! I am proposing and seeking interest in a ride the weekend of Oct. 21-22-23. Leaving early on Friday and riding by way of Damascus VA, Greenville TN, and what looks like a very crooked road, route 70 from Greenville to Harlan KY. I layed out 314 miles. Overnight at a motel in Harlan. Sat. ride to Hazard, then by way of the Breaks Interstate Park, Hurley VA, and War Eagle W.VA, and into Beckly for Sat. night. 263 miles. Then some more great roads home on Sunday.
If there is any interest, I can post my routes. We can reserve some rooms. Folks can ride as a group, or just get there by any road they choose, and party that night. Any suggestions on accomodations and routes would be welcome. I did talk to a local about route 70 from Greenville north to Harlan. He said it is a great twisty road, and to watch out for coal dust and coal trucks in Kentucky. I've done battle with Kentucky coal trucks before, and figure if you give them a wide berth, and the right of way, you do OK
Let me know if you are interested, and commited!
Hank Pfister
Copper Hill, VA
Twin Valley Riders

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:33 am

Hank, J.D. Dunn here. I would be interested in your ride though this area. I have a head light protecter so I'm ready to go. I will also riding two up.

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:56 pm

Hey Hank,
It looks interestsing, but I'm not committing yet. Don't forget to pack your own beverage of choice, because there's no alcohol available commercially in those parts.
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

Hank Pfister

OFFICIAL ROUTE PROPOSAL:

Post by Hank Pfister » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:44 pm

OK, here is the route I propose. Its not set in stone, so look it over, and see what you think. This route takes in 5 states, and approx. 700 miles.
DAY 1: FLOYD TO HAZARD FRIDAY OCT. 21
Meet downtown Floyd 7am at Blue Ridge Cafe across from court house on Main street. Depart 8am, on US 221 south, join US 58 at Hillsville. US 58 to Volney, about 8 miles out of Volney LEFT on 743 to Rugby VA, and into NC on NC 194, to Warrensville. RIGHT on 88 (great road) to Trade TN. Right on US 421 thru Mountain City, and to SHADY VALLEY, jct. US 421, TN 133, and 91. This is the place Mark mentioned. They are trying to be a "Deals Gap II". We'll head south on 91 to Elizabethton, US 19E, to US 321 west to Johnson Cith, follow US 11E/321 to Greenville (200 miles so far). Just out of Greenville on US 11/34 we'll go RIGHT on 70 north (Lonesome Pine Trail) following 70 to Jonesville VA, LEFT on US 58 into Joneville, andRIGHT on ALT. US 58 North to Pennington Gap, and LEFT on US 421. 421 to Harlan KY, and on to Hayden KY. RIGHT on 80 to Hazard, and the Hazard Days Inn. ($57.86 per room, not confirmed) 340 MILES.

DAY 2: HAZARD TO BEAVER SAT. OCT. 22
Leave Hazard on KY 15 to Whitesburg, and LEFT on US 119. Thru Jenkins, to Shelby Gap, and RIGHT on 197 to Elkhorn City. RIGHT on 80 into VA and the Breaks Interstate Park. From Breaks, route 768/609 to US 460, LEFT on 460 to RIGHT on 700, and RIGHT on 650 to Hurley. If we want to visit WAR EAGLE W.VA. we'll go LEFT at Hurley on 643, then RIGHT on 646 into W.VA on CR 3 (Greenbrier Mtn. Rd. to Panther W.VA, LEFT on CR 1 (Bull Creek Rd?) and LEFT on CR 13 just before Isaban, and into WAR EAGLE. Follow the tracks back to CR 1, and East to US 52. LEFT (north) on 52 to just past Hanover, and RIGHT on 97, thru Pineville, RIGHT on 10, and LEFT on 10/16 to Mullins, and 16 onto Beckley (222 miles) In Beckley go RIGHT on 3, join up with US 19 south to Beaver, and find Airport Rd, and the Sleep Inn . ( $67.49/ room, unconfirmed) 226 miles.

DAY 3: BEAVER TO HOME. SUN. OCT. 23.
From Beaver, US 19/3 south to Shady Spring, LEFT on 3 towards Hinton. RIGHT on 20, then LEFT across New River on 3, follows the Greenbrier River. Then take 12 south to Forest Hill, LEFT on 122 to Greenville, Raines Corner, and at Rock Camp LEFT on CR 29 thru Zenith, to Gap Mills. RIGHT on 3 to 311 at Sweet Springs, RIGHT on 311 to Paint Bank (79 miles), and 311 to Home....

I have not called either motel, I just found them on Google. Any other suggestions for lodging are welcome. My route from Volney into N.C. and to Shady Valley is a few miles longer than going onto Damascus, and south to Shady Valley. I chose it so we could ride good roads in a 5th state. We could split and some ride to Damascus and south on 716/TN133 to Shady Valley where we'll meet up.