Morton's Open House

If you know of an event that might be of interest to the local BMW riders, post it here.

Moderator: AntonLargiader

L.Price

Morton's Open House

Post by L.Price » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:30 am

Anyone from the club riding to Morton's Open House this Saturday?
Larry Price
Charlottesville, Va.
'76 R90/6

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:00 pm

Yea Larry. J.D. and Kandy at least. How about a flight of three?

AntonLargiader

Post by AntonLargiader » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:27 pm

Meredith and I plan to be there on the Airheads. I haven't even tried to start the /3 yet but hopefully it won't be too bad. The tranny is back on the /5 and it just needs another hour or two of work.
R1100RS, R100R, K75RT, R100PD, R100GS, XR400R, R75/5x2, Jetta TDI

L.Price

Post by L.Price » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:03 am

Maybe we can find a meeting point convenient for those heading to Morton's?
Larry
Larry Price
Charlottesville, Va.
'76 R90/6

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:32 pm

And a meeting point at Morton's to discuss upcoming breakfast ride options (see CHAT).
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

AntonLargiader

We got there too late

Post by AntonLargiader » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:54 am

Considering that I had to reassemble both bikes after getting home from South Dakota on Friday, one of which hasn't run since we bought it, we were probably doing well to arrive at all.

The /3 was pretty straightforward, but I did have to rig a different battery since the stock one was shot. The rebuilt carb and the cleaned-out tank went on, and the bike fired right up. Just amazing.

The /5 needed a transmission and everything else that goes on after that. Somehow it came together also but then the battery was dead, then there was no spark. I jiggled the wire to the points and it fired up. OK, we're off.

OK, now I'm freezing because I didn't put the liners in my suit. I spot some plastic grocery bags on the side of the road and stop to stuff them in my suit, but they are all nasty. However, the bike takes the opportunity to topple off the centerstand and go completely upside down in the ditch. We're talking mud in the ignition key here.

Meredith stalled the /3 near Lake Anna and the bike wouldn't restart for a half hour. It was probably at least 3:00 or 3:30 when we got to Morton's and found the judging to be over. I saw the "grubby bike" and believe me, that award was mine.

What was the nicest/oldest bike there? Meredith probably had a shot at that one.

We swapped bikes for the ride home. The /3 got to about 145kph indicated, and the speedo seemed to be accurate at 100kph. The air filter came loose near Orange, and I shut the engine off to reassemble it and then found that it wouldn't start for another half hour. Then a few miles from home it went on reserve and stalled (poor timing, on a slow uphill with a car in back of me) and wouldn't restart. We were expected at our neighbors' for dinner so I just rode the /5 home and came back with a truck.

Overall it was a successful debut of the /3 although I think the problem is in the ignition. We went on this 160-mile shakedown ride without even a toolkit or a cell phone, so I couldn't really diagnose it on the road.
R1100RS, R100R, K75RT, R100PD, R100GS, XR400R, R75/5x2, Jetta TDI