Sat April 26 Ride

If you know of an event that might be of interest to the local BMW riders, post it here.

Moderator: AntonLargiader

BUTCH

Sat April 26 Ride

Post by BUTCH » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:52 pm

Due to weather forcast Sat. 4/26 ride will be postponed to May 17.We will eat lunch at the Swiss rest. there.I did not know that the Ramp supper didn't start intill 3:00 pm and that would mean riding back late evening maybe in the rain.If there is any intrest maybe we can camp out that Sat night. Butch

SLBateman

Post by SLBateman » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:19 pm

We passed through there Saturday afternoon. The ramps were cooking and the whole place smelled plenty pungent. Pretty but pungent.
Had lunch at the Hutte restraunt that you mentioned and found it overpriced and not all that good. It may have been that they were crowded with a 45 minute wait, I dunno.
Headed back Saturday evening and, yes, got a bit wet.

Just a heads-up - the road that leads to Helvetia from US 219 is a real piece of work. There are numerous gouges in the asphalt presumably made by overloaded coal trucks. These range from 1/2" to several inches deep. Hit one of those just right with a front tire and it wouldn't be pretty. Really hard to see them suckers, especially when it's raining. Do be careful.
Sam Bateman
Arvonia, VA
1990 K75RT

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:24 pm

I drove over to Helvetia from Kumbrabow SF by the back way through Pickens; mostly gravel, but good gravel. The wait in line for the ramp dinner was about two hours, but once inside it was all you could eat. I got in line about 3:30 PM, but I hear that the line had started forming around 11:00 AM for the 3:00 PM opening!

I ran into RideWva and the rest of the Morgantown group while I was in line. They had also opted for lunch at The Hutte after seeing the line.

If an overnight trip to Helvetia develops for May 17, the campground at Kumbrabow SF looked inviting. But, they allow only "one camping unit" per site for the $11 fee. It's about six miles in to the campground from US 219 on a good gravel road.
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS