March First Sunday

If you know of an event that might be of interest to the local BMW riders, post it here.

Moderator: AntonLargiader

Chuck

March First Sunday

Post by Chuck » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:37 pm

Let's meet for breakfast on sunday, March 2 at The Lafayette Inn, 156 East Main Street (US 33 Business) in downtown Stanardsville.

Eat at 9:00 AM
Ride ~ 10:00 AM

Here's the Inn's web site with directions, etc.: http://www.thelafayette.com/about.html

Here's the breakfast menu: http://www.thelafayette.com/breakfast.pdf
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

JoeBeemer

Post by JoeBeemer » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:40 am

I will try to be there this month.

JB
'99 R1200C, '99 323Ci, '02 530i, and a big red '97 Pierce 75' aerial
BMWMOA 136709

MikeyM

Post by MikeyM » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:50 am

Sounds good. I'll try to make it.

a

Post by a » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:42 am

Hullo Chuck et al:
Where'ya headed after breakfast?
a

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:58 pm

Ride route is up for suggestions. Got any?
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:39 pm

The Lafayette Inn has been warned of our impending arrival. I said there would be about ten of us, based on recent turnout. The owner said they would have space for us.

Also, Anton has paid to renew the blueridgebeemer.org domain. We should buy him a breakfast or two or so to spread the club expenses and remain dues-free. With no newsletter this web site is all that holds us together!
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

AntonLargiader

Post by AntonLargiader » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:48 pm

First and foremost, thank you folks for buying me breakfast! FWIW the website (of which BRB is less than 10%, maybe less than 5%) is about $120/yr, and the domain name is about ten bucks. Not high finance exactly. Our other volunteer of course is Chuck, who handles the club charters with RA and MOA. RA is free with enough RA members, but MOA might be a pay thing in which case we should cover a couple of meals for him at some point.

OK, the Lafayette...

I had the Eggs Benedict and although I didn't complain, apparently others did. The ham they used was cold, so it sucked the heat out of the rest of the meal. Plus the yolks were firm, and the sauce was more of a smear of paste than an actual sauce. I'm interested in what other comments were voiced on that item. Clearly it was an issue as the chef basically apologized for that.

The omelets and other stuff looked great. Coffee was nice. Strong. Not the best flavor, but pretty good IMO, and strong. And in large cups. :)

Serving times weren't that bad IMO. A number of meals came out at the beginning, and it seemed that we mostly got served in two waves. Jay's meal was late but he ordered later IIRC.

Just how I see it, and I'd love to see a few more comments. Anyway, we haven't run out of places to try, not by a long shot!

Oh, after breakfast we joined the herd for a swift run over Swift Run Gap, then I headed north with new guy David and... [damn]... for 211 and a run back east over the mountain. LOTS of gravel on Thornton Gap, both sides. Down 231 to Somerset, back into town on 20.
R1100RS, R100R, K75RT, R100PD, R100GS, XR400R, R75/5x2, Jetta TDI

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:51 pm

The Lafayette -- I had the omelet du jour and it was OK. Not up to Restaurant of the Year expectations ( I didn't see who awarded that). The stone-ground grits were interesting, but a little skimpy. But, they seemed to be trying to please. And the black table clothes went nicely with our moto-apparel.

Anyway, Louise's fried fish quest was worthwhile. John and I reconnected with Mike, Jay and Louise in Brandywine and headed for Monterey via a dirty Moyers Gap Road for the elusive fried fish. We were greeted on arrival in Monterey by Rich of the Govenors MC tourism commission and headed for High's Restaurant for some tasty trout. Seemed that fried or broiled/grilled trout at High's makes a good destination for future post breakfast stops.
Last edited by Chuck on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

XILAR8

Post by XILAR8 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:35 pm

Great to see such a nice turnout for breakfast. Gorgeous day for a ride. The broiled fish in Monterey was the best meal of the day - thanks, Louise, for suggesting (er, insisting) upon that!

Hey, Mike, where'd you go?
John
K1300S

MTSweger

Post by MTSweger » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:16 pm

Chuck wrote:The Lafayette -- I had the omelet du jour and it was OK. Not up to Restaurant of the Year expectations ( I didn't see who awarded that). The stone-ground grits were interesting, but a little skimpy. But, they seemed to be trying to please. And the black table clothes went nicely with our moto-apparel.
Likewise, my omelet was OK. Nothing to write home about, but pretty decent. I really liked the grits, though...BUT (as my southern-born bride would say), I'm a "damned yankee" so what the hell do I know about grits? :wink:

AntonLargiader wrote:Oh, after breakfast we joined the herd for a swift run over Swift Run Gap, then I headed north with new guy David and... [damn]... for 211 and a run back east over the mountain. LOTS of gravel on Thornton Gap, both sides. Down 231 to Somerset, back into town on 20.
After splitting off from Anton's group at Elkton, Jay and Louise led me on a very nice circuitous route across the Shenandoah Valley, then over the mountain on 33 to Brandywine. US33 was clean all the way to the top, but lots of gravel once we crossed into West Virginia (north side of the mountain, go figure). Similarly, we had to take it easy on Sugar Grove Road and Moyers Gap because of the crappy road conditions, but the scenery was great, as was the company. Still a bit of snow on the ground over there in certain places, particularly in the shadows.
Chuck wrote:Anyway, Louise's fried fish quest was worthwhile. John and I reconnected with Mike, Dave (?) and Louise in Brandywine and headed for Monterey via a dirty Moyers Gap Road for the elusive fried fish. We were greeted on arrival in Monterey by Rich of the Govenors MC tourism commission and headed for High's Restaurant for some tasty trout. Seemed that fried or broiled/grilled trout at High's makes a good destination for future post breakfast stops.
Sorry I didn't come into High's to join you for lunch. After y'all went inside, someone approached me and asked if I could move the bike since they needed to set up a booth for their Maple Festival (which I think starts next weekend, BTW). Well, after suiting up to move the K1, I decided to keep moving because it was actually quite warm in the sun and I didn't care to work up a sweat. Headed back across the mountain on 250, then bypassed Staunton (Buffalo Gap, Middlebrook, etc.) and headed back to C'ville.

All in all, a good day. The new Z6's are scuffed in pretty well. :twisted:

Hope to see you all next month, if not sooner.

-MTS
Mike Sweger
2004 K1200GT | 2015 KTM 1290SA

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:12 am

AntonLargiader wrote:Just how I see it, and I'd love to see a few more comments. Anyway, we haven't run out of places to try, not by a long shot!
So, any specific suggestions for April 6? Does La Cocina del Sol in C'ville serve breakfast or just brunch? We also had a suggestion to return to The Thunderbird Diner in McGaheysville at the last First Sunday. Somebody pick something.
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:32 pm

While we're on an upscale roll, how about this one: http://brasseriemontiel.com/default.aspx
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

MikeyM

Post by MikeyM » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:27 pm

See April thread.