MOA Rally

If you know of an event that might be of interest to the local BMW riders, post it here.

Moderator: AntonLargiader

Troy Nicks
Site Admin

MOA Rally

Post by Troy Nicks » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:02 am

Anyone going?

I just booked passage on the high-speed ferry from Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee on July 11, for the 4:45 p.m. sailing - the entire boat is reserved for MOA for that departure time. Round trip fare is pricey at $184 (senior rate), but it oughta be fun.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hooking up with anyone heading for the rally, especially those who favor a brisk pace!
Troy Nicks
Nelson Co., Virginia, on the Tye River
04 K12GT

XILAR8

Post by XILAR8 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:56 pm

Troy,

Sounds like a great trip! Wish I could join you, but the RA Rally is my choice this year. Are you doing that one, too?
John
K1300S

Troy Nicks
Site Admin

Post by Troy Nicks » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:08 am

XILAR8 wrote:Wish I could join you, but the RA Rally is my choice this year. Are you doing that one, too?
I'd thought of the RA, too, John. Let's keep in touch on that.
Troy Nicks
Nelson Co., Virginia, on the Tye River
04 K12GT

Chuck

From the Rally Chairman

Post by Chuck » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:29 pm

From Sue Rihn-Manke, 2007 BMW MOA International Rally Chairman

April is upon us, the planning is in full-throttle for the 35th Anniversary Rally. We hope many of you have scheduled time on your vacation calendars for the rally this summer. The dates are July 12 - 15th, in West Bend, Wisconsin. There is a lot going that week: seminars, live entertainment, great riding, vendors, fabulous food, and some Bavarian-style entertainment that might make you feel a bit like you stepped into the land of the Autobahn & Alps.

IMPORTANT CHANGE: This year we have changed the way we will tally the club awards. With the exception of the Virtual Clubs, club information will not be pulled from the registration forms. To be considered for an award, clubs must submit a list of their members in attendance to Awards and Tallies by Noon on Saturday.

We made this change so there would be a more equitable accounting of your members who attend the rally, resulting with the clubs more fairly represented in the process. As an added bonus, this will make it easier for the Awards and Tallies volunteers who do all of the data entry at the National.

“Why the change,” is a question I have heard. Here are a few reasons:

o The system that was used previously worked well to some degree, but fell apart in other ways. For instance, if a person is a member of several clubs, many times the Awards and Tallies team would only enter one (or two) of these clubs. This new method will allow every club who has that individual on their roster to count them.

o In the past, if two people rode in 2-up and indicated a club number on the registration form, then that was counted as 2 members for that particular club. For many clubs, the spouse, child, girlfriend, (etc) is not included on the membership roster. Technically speaking, this could have given some clubs more than 100% attendance.

o Previously, if a member did not know their club number or if they had bad penmanship, they might not have been counted. And frankly --- after a long, hot ride into the rally, penmanship is generally not a concern.

o This is no different than any other award at the rally. By making this change, it creates consistency for all of the awards - both individual and club.

o This is the same system that is used at the local rally level.

o What a great opportunity for even some of the largest clubs to touch base with their members during the rally.

So how should you, the chartered club officers, proceed?

First, you should decide if you would like your club to be considered for one of the Club Awards. (See list at the bottom of this message.) If the answer is “Yes,” then come up with a plan that will work for your club.

Here are a few suggestions…

o Bring your club roster to the rally, and when you see someone from your club, ask them to sign it. Beer-stains on the paperwork will be fine as long as it doesn’t smudge the ink.

o Notify your members now via your newsletters, emails, and web sites that they need to check in a certain location or with a delegated person.

o Awards and Tallies will be located in the entry of the main pavilion, near Communications. We can keep your club sign-up sheets there, if you like.

Please note that there is still a line for people to enter their "virtual club" information. Awards & Tallies will transcribe the information for the Airheads, IBMWR, Oilheads, Chain Gang, etc.

Club Awards:

Largest Local Chartered Club in Attendance - First through Sixth Place

Largest Special Interest or Virtual Club in Attendance - First and Second Place

Most Member-Miles by a Chartered Club - First through Fifth Place

Farthest Chartered Club with Five or More in Attendance - First through Fifth Place