EASTER ON THE BLUE RIDGE

If you know of an event that might be of interest to the local BMW riders, post it here.

Moderator: AntonLargiader

lee

EASTER ON THE BLUE RIDGE

Post by lee » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:43 pm

Hello, I am inquiring as to whether the Easter on the Blue ridge will be on again this year. I am a past friend of Steve Coburn and hope to participate for the first time (previous health problems) . Although this is early, lets keep in mind this rally , for Steve's benefit and memory. Thanks for reading. I am also available for assistance in any planning time required for this function.

AntonLargiader

Post by AntonLargiader » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:03 pm

Hi Lee,

A few of us were talking about that at breakfast. None of us had any firm ideas about it, but it seemed to be a popular tradition. I had always done a different easter weekend Blue Ridge ride so I never went on Steve's, but maybe this year it'll be time to meet up with y'all since my group has stopped doing it.

The flip side is that it's historically a poor weekend weather-wise. Rain, and always LOTS of fog. Cold, too. My group stayed at Doe Run lodge between Meadows of Dan and Fancy Gap on the BRP. Expensive but a lot warmer than camping. :)

Feel like organizing something?
R1100RS, R100R, K75RT, R100PD, R100GS, XR400R, R75/5x2, Jetta TDI

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:07 pm

Here's the routine, as Steve planned it
Friday
Camping at Verona KOA or motel
Dinner in Staunton
Saturday
Breakfast at Mrs. Rowe's (at US 250 X I-64)
Ride the BRP to lunch (Roanoke or Floyd recently)
Ride the Parkway to Willville (motel nearby, also)
Dinner somewhere nearby
Sunday
Breakfast at Willville
Ride home (or farther south, etc.)

Easter is April 8. Will may need to open early, like he did last year when I was the only one to show up after all the desertions in the fog.
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

BMWDAN42

Post by BMWDAN42 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:30 pm

Brent Holowell, the NC Airmarshall purchased Turkey Tom's. That used to be the destination before Tom let it go downhill and found another life. He's done a lot with the place.
Dan
94 R100GSPD 86 R80RT
73 Husky WR 400
Old Bultacos in need of restoration

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:42 am

Good point -- I'd forgotten about that. It's a more reasonalbe distance for an all day ride, but we'd have to get Turkey Brent to fix dinner.
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

lee

Easter opn the Blue Ridge

Post by lee » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:30 pm

Hello, Anton.
First sorry for delay in this reply, been away.
Second, yes I will be involved in planning of events.
I am partial to Willville though, as I had visited Willville, and asked Will to send info on the place, per Steve's request, as he needed a new place to set on that leg of the ride. Willville is one of the finest I have been to in certain respects. Flexible.

I also agree that the early part of April does not lend itself well to motorcycle riding at all. In other words, I feel that we would be able to have more participants and ride safer, if we had this thing during the last week of April. We could still call it Easter on the Blue Ridge and would be alright with it. I am flexible on this subject, so do not chew my head off for sugesting tha last week in April.
I also do not want to disrespect Steve's plan to be specific on choosing Easter weekend as the only viable time to have this event.
Let me know what you all think. Save some of my head.

I also look forward to the posibility of my moving into the Meadows of Dan area in the next 12 months, and look to be part of and to assist the club in any way I can.
Got yourselves a new active member! This Blue Ridge Beemers club seems to have a good democratic way about it and I like that, non-smothering.

See you soon- Lee

lee

Easter on the Blue Ridge

Post by lee » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:15 pm

Anton
My additional thoughts are to have a newly named ride for Steve either at the end of April or the begining of May.
Will you all continue to have a Steve Coburn Memorial Ride every year as last year?

Lastly, need a sign up form for the club, where to send dues to etc.

thanks, will check posts later.

AntonLargiader

Re: Easter on the Blue Ridge

Post by AntonLargiader » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:51 pm

No dues, Lee. The BRB are just a laid-back social network of folks who maintain club charters and the website on a volunteer basis. Chuck does the charters and I host the site and rent the domain name. Not much else to be done. We meet for breakfast once a month and will generally ride in one or more groups afterwards, sometimes do a dinner but it's not a structured thing. This forum is our meeting, I guess.

Now an interesting point is that as a chartered club (at least for the RA) I think we have to have an annual event. Easter on the Blue Ridge might be the event to keep us legal. Since this was one of two rides that Steve was heavily involved in (The Rolling Rally to the MOA or RA national being the other) I think this would basically BE the Steve Coburn Memorial Ride, even if it wasn't expressly named so.

Last year's ride was a specific memorial for him; it's tough to keep something like that going on a regular basis and I personally think a more reasonable memorial to him would be to continue the tradition of those two rides. I'm thinking that we could do a nice RR to the BMWRA national this summer. Having never been on either of them, I'm all ears about what we should do, and if you're a 'veteran' of them I'd love it if you took the lead.
R1100RS, R100R, K75RT, R100PD, R100GS, XR400R, R75/5x2, Jetta TDI

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:31 am

I think Easter on the Blue Ridge evolved from hosting a group of Ontario sport-touring riders. They've been coming down on Easter WEekend for 20 or 25 years. I don't know if they are an organized club or just a bunch of friends that get together every year. I'm pretty sure they are not a BMW club, since they are on such a variety of bikes when they show up on Easter Weekend. Kandy was heavily involved in planning the event last year, so we may need to contact her to get an Ontario contact.

KANDY, ARE YOU THERE?
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

lee

Post by lee » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:22 am

Anton, thanks for info on the club.
As far as my posible participation in rolling rally planning. I can definitely
assist in planning for the rolling rallly, calling, e-mailing- coordinating,
etc. Steve and his friends were like magicians in the planning as I have read in the oil rag over the years.
As far as me participating this year on the actual ride of rolling rally, will have to consider, a lot on my plate this comming year, as many of you have also.
So not sure on the actual ride. Sure have dreamed of going on the rolling in past years, never able to, must be one of the best.

I believe also that we should keep the oil rag alive, unless someone has already started this We should start with printing and sending the last
issue that was on Steve's computer (his former wife says it is still there, was in Sept.). But if not we should do it, perhaps not in the full version at first. I will help in this, but it would be only right for many of us to do it, together.
One of the statements Steve made several times over the years in the "Oil Rag" was that we never know the future, so it is important to gather as much as we can with any time that is left to us, for it could be gone tommorrow, as it did to Steve.

talk to you later

Kandy

Easter on Blue Ridge

Post by Kandy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:47 am

Hello everyone,

I was just catching up on the threads and wanted to give you some idea of the goings on. Easter on the Blue Ridge was started by Ross Copus from Canada and then he asked Steve to do the planning for him. I'm pretty positive that the Canadian contingency are all BMW owners but like many, have other brands, also, to play on. I have the list of contacts from the last 3 years that I did the planning if you would like to contact me. 513-731-3272 I am now living in the Cincinnati, Ohio area managing an Learning and Developementally Disabled Apartment Complex with my new husband, Doug.

I have tried working on the last issue of the Oil Rag but have come across a few problems. His hard drive was in bad shape and I can't get it to pull up what he had. I'm in the process of putting it all back in my computer ( from the articles that were sent in) and am still waiting to get an article about the Memorial Ride. (I couldn't attend as I had just started this job and couldn't get it off)

At numerous times I had discussed with Steve the advantages of having officers but he flatly refused. He managed it all - so unless we have someone or preferably a group to keep it going it is the end of Steve's Oilhead Club. If anybody would like more information please feel free to contact me. Ride n' On, Kandy
Ridin' On, Kandy

lee

Post by lee » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:27 pm

I am willing to be part of the group that keeps the Oil Rag alive.
Kandy, I can help with getting that most recent Oil Rag issue in the mail.
You can call me at 412-334-2303 to discuss my potential contribution to this last issue with you.

thanks

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:15 pm

I exchanged e-mails with Ross and Mike of the BMW Motorcycle Club Ontario. About five of them are coming down Easter weekend, but plan to stay at a motel in the Staunton area and explore the Blue Ridge form there. Mike said he would let me know their the plans as they develop further. Maybe an inter-club social event will develop.
Chuck Auckerman
Bridgewater, Virginia
1977 R100S, 2001 R1150GS

lee

easter on the blueridge

Post by lee » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:11 pm

Confirmed also, Will was contacted and that the riders will stay at Willville also as they did last year.

lee

Easter on Blue Ridge

Post by lee » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:28 pm

On Saturday evening, April 7 th, there is going to be an excellent stew prepared for those interested , no charge of course for this.
There should be a good fire going at Wills. Look to see ya there.